Monday, December 31, 2007

Midnight at the Oasis

Well, it's not midnight yet. I'm thinking I won't make it. It was a long day at work. After a rushed dinner we headed out to see the fireworks on the ski hill, but we were so late we ended up seeing them from the truck instead. We walked around the shops and restaurants with the kids and then went to the bar for a drink. It was 8pm at that point and I didn't think we should be in there past 9 with the kids. They had a special thing going where a special shot was taken on the hour. When we arrived it was gin and butter? Sounded nasty, so I didn't partake. I had already had a hurricane when the Black Seal rum was set up for the 9 o'clock hour. There was a cheer and down it went. At that time I thought it best to take the kids home. All the drunk people were sad to see the girls go. They are awfully cute sitting at the bar. I hope they don't spread these stories around school.

There was that movie, can't remember the name of it now, with the line,"you've got a baby, in a bar." When your brother owns a bar, what is a snowflake girl to do? Naturally we spend quite a bit of time there, probably more than we should.

So New Year's resolutions... There were women at work saying that they were taking their last bites of chocolate before the new year. That seemed rather extreme to me. I love chocolate and couldn't give it up. Can't give up booze, because my brother owns a bar. I have no work ambitions, except not to get fired. I have my book that I'd like to see published. There are some cute guys that I'd like to hang out with. But there again, I want to be bad, but not too bad. I am married after all, much to my own dismay. I feel that even in this exciting place, I am on the sidelines watching. Since this is a constantly repeating theme of mine,I can only surmise that I have chosen to live like this. Very safe.

Tonight instead of going out on my own, which my husband actually suggested, I am sitting in my turret window looking down at the street watching the people walk to the bars for a midnight toast. The ball has long since dropped in NYC, and I guess being a former east coast girl, I feel the New Year has already officially begun. Cheers!

No comments: