Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Maps

I wonder about the statistical probability of meeting any person on the planet. I decided to move, others decide to move, coincidentally to the same place. This is definitely a small world type of town. I've met people who lived one town away from us in Massachusetts. One family just moved from the town my Aunt lives in. A co-worker spent some time in Bozeman, MT, probably around the time I used to live there. Why didn't our paths cross then?

A new friend from work gave his resignation today and said he was going to return to Iraq as a contractor, to make his fortune. I was bummed hearing the news. But didn't I just take off myself? Granted I didn't cross any oceans, but I left a group of friends behind. I was excited to be leaving and starting a new adventure. My daughter's teacher cried at the news, and I thought that was silly since I was excited to be going.

So as I think about it tonight, I should be grateful to have met this new friend, in this strange place, and be happy that I had the opportunity. Because what really are the chances of any of us meeting? I imagine our paths create a strange sort of map, merging and parting, creating an ever tightening weave upon this small world. I'll miss him, but wish him the best as he continues on his path lined with friends he has yet to meet.

No comments: