Saturday, January 12, 2008

Powderific!

The family is skiing today (all but me). It's the last day of ski school and there is two feet of fresh powder on the mountain. I heard there is a bumps competition, but it was too far up the mountain to see from the base. I'm sure I'll hear about it later.

The sun has decided to come out after several days of snow. But I think it's a brief viewing since the weather forecast has snow flakes across all of next week. The new camera phone has arrived and I've been sending picts to Mom. She said she's never seen so much snow, except a few storms a million years ago in PA. But this is different than East Coast snow. Champagne Powder is what it's called here. And in the paper I saw it referred to as simply "'der", as if the "pow" is uncool. Like the bumps I referred to above. In the old days we called them moguls.

So the next session of kids lessons is full. Except for the really expensive ones, they quoted $117 a day. The locals classes are half of that. M. has gotten good enough to ski with her dad, but L. has just started the pommel lift. M's friends go to the smaller local ski hill, so that might work out as well. The other hill also has night skiing which might be fun for everyone.

Today my activities included getting my hair cut, lunch at Wendy's, and some shopping. I have no other agenda today except for making a Killer Lasagna for dinner. Recipe follows:

cook 8 oz lasagna noodles
to make tomato sauce: in blender place 2 cans diced tomatoes (drained),1/2 cup tomato paste,2 scallions, 1 tbsp soy sauce,2 cloves garlic,2 tsp basil,1 tsp oregano,1/2 tsp marjoram
to make cheese layer: 3 cups low-fat cottage cheese,2 eggs (beaten),1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

To layer: in bottom of 9 x 13" baking dish, coat with nonstick spray, then 1/2 cup tomato sauce in bottom. Place a third oft he noodles across the bottom overlapping as necessary. Spread half the cheese mixture over the noodles. Top with another third of the noodles. Then layer the remaining cheese and noodles and pour the rest of the sauce over the noodles. Arrange 4 oz thinly sliced mozzarella on top. Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 min. Let stand about 10 min before serving.

Sometimes I add cooked ground beef to the sauce, and sometimes I add a layer of spinach in the middle. Really good stuff!

No comments: